I sent them this list:
- Ed Sheeran: You Need Me. I Don't Need You.
- Kanye West, Jay-Z, Rick Ross and Nicki Minaj: Monster
- Dan Le Sac vs Scroobius Pip: Waiting For The Beat To Kick In
The reply was a request to pick more indie songs in order to be on the show. I (stupidly) decided not to back down on my list in the hope that I'd get to go on the radio anyway and defend it. Obviously that didn't happen because, duh.
Whilst we're here, the longer list would have included:
- Scroobius Pip: Letter From God To Man / You Will See Me / First Time I Met Musik / Broken Promise / 1000 Words
- Florence & The Machine: Donkey Kosh / Girl With One Eye / My Boy Builds Coffins / My Best Dress / Bird Song
- Kate Nash: Mariella / Dickhead / Birds
- Beyonce: Flawless (aaaand the flawless remix with Nicki Minaj) / Upgrade U / Partition
- Destiny's Child: Survivor
- Jamie T: Emily's Heart / Back In The Game / Don't You Find / Sheila / If I Were A Boy
- Eminem: Lose Yourself / Bad Guy / Survival (and lots of other more fun stuff)
- The Cat Empire: Days Like These
- Cold War Kids: Hospital Beds
- Laura Marling: My Manic And I / Alas I Cannot Swim / Ghosts
- Frightened Rabbit: The Twist
- The Airborne Toxic Event: Sometime Around Midnight
- Dire Straits: Romeo and Juliet
- James Blunt: Billy
- Eva Cassidy: Letter
- Johnny Cash: Boy Named Sue
- Nicki Minaj: Moment For Life / Want Some More / Feeling Myself
- Lil Kim: Aunt Dot
- Kanye West: Hey Mamma (Grammy's version)
- Outkast: B.O.B / ATLiens / Rosa Parks
- Paolo Nutini: Loving You
- Ed Sheeran: Be Like You / Take It Back
- The Pixies: Hey
- Tommy Reilly: Jackets
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs: Sacrilege
- Panic! At The Disco: Build God, Then We'll Talk
- Cher: The Shoop Shoop Song
- Britney Spears: Overprotected
- Justin Timberlake: Senorita
Okay I'll be honest I kind of forgot what I was doing. I think I was proving I like popular music? Yes that was it, we were on the cusp of talking about Nicki Minaj.
Her verse in 'Monster' is amongst my favourite raps of all time and I'm not even sure I can articulately justify why - I just want you to feel in your chest how I feel in my chest while rapping along to it. That's why it's on my list of favourite songs, nation.
I'm not a musical soul. I'm a wordy soul. So you'll find most of the songs on my (now kind of long but originally quite short) list are stories, glorious extended metaphors, guides on how to live your life or examples of brilliantly flowing language. The ones that don't fall into these categories, well, they're just choons*.
I have a craving to write a little bit about why each song is so fantastic but I guess that's just mentally masturbating online / what fan forums are for, eh. You should listen to every single item on the list though. And come back to me all like ahhhh isn't "the pen is far mightier then the sword he said / as he stabbed his pen in my leg / and the ink mixed with the red" one of your favourite lines in '1000 Words'?!
OH GOD I HAVE TO DO A WHOLE NEW LIST OF PURELY FAVOURITE LYRICS. Stop me.
Other highlights include Kanye West crying after singing 'Hey Mamma' (a song about how much he loves his mum) a few days after she died and then you crying thinking that your mum has died. And the best parenting ever in 'Boy Named Sue'.
Time for bed. I've forgotten what I was trying to achieve with this post. Main target was to pass time waiting for the caffeine gels to wear off.
Oh yes, other news - we retained our European Team Pursuit title tonight. Lovely jubbly. Fighting for my Individual Pursuit title on Sunday.
|Photo Cycling Weekly.|
Onwards, to the world of sleep!
*Descriptive noun. "That choon's a proper belter!"